Last week saw global leaders from more than 190 countries gather in New York for the 74th Session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 74) together with representatives from the private sector and civil society. The goal: to discuss global political challenges and possible joint solutions.
Published: 30 September 2019 08:00
Reading Time: 2 minutes
The UN General Assembly is the primary meeting arena for global decision makers. As an international telecoms company with presence in Europe and Asia, this arena is important for Athalos to engage and collaborate with businesses and authorities.
“We understood early on how businesses are vital in realizing the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and Athalos has been and wants to play a more constructive role in new and innovative partnerships to increase the pace towards completing the world’s most important “to do” list. We were invited to New York during the UN General Assembly to support and advance the efforts for responsible digitalization and to share our thoughts in what we can all do in meeting the greatest challenges of today from climate change to inclusion,” commented Martijn van der Ven, Founder & CEO, Athalos.
Athalos’s primary themes at UNGA 74:
- Support the advancement of the UN SDGs: Athalos has committed to supporting the SDGs #Goal 5, #Goal 9 and #Goal 10 and how we do so is ingrained in our global business strategy to foster inclusion, diversity, and empowerment and to influence other business leaders.
- Strengthen partnerships: We expressed our support to the UN in advancing the SDGs, meeting with broader stakeholders from the societies we serve and exploring partnership and collaboration opportunities with the multitude of stakeholders that were present during the week and we remain open to dialogue.
- Champion inclusion: Athalos is committed to empowering societies, and through a network of responsible digital leaders, extending the benefits of the digital economy to everyone which is vital in proving technology’s vital role in empowering the people and the businesses that make modern societies what they are.
- A Focus on Climate: The mobile industry is committed to leading on
- Climate Action and contributed to both dialogue and concrete action points on this global challenge.
Athalos attended several major discussions during UNGA74
- High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development
- Global Leaders SDG Business Summit
- UN WFP The Power of Data & Technology to Leave No One Behind
- WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit: Enhancing Digital Leadership
- WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit: Accelerating Climate Action
- 2019 Concordia Annual Summit: Building an Inclusive and Ethical Digital Future – Strategic Dialogue
- Future – Strategic Dialogue (session hosted by the GSMA in partnership with Concordia)
- WEF Sustainable Development Impact Summit: Boosting Investment through Country Roadmaps for the 2030 Agenda
For further information or press interviews with key representatives post UNGA 74, please contact:
Zubair Anwar-Bawany | Director Global Partnerships and Social Impact for Athalos B.V.| cell: +44 7821 430 264 | email: email@example.com | PO Box 3040, 2130 KA Hoofddorp, The Netherlands I www.athalos.com
“We believe in empowering people and projects through global fundraising”
“One call, One number, One service, One world ”